Dead projects in ports tree

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Mar 3 05:54:05 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:40:42AM +0200, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
> Frankly, I would glad to see absolutely another discussion: not about
> dropping software that works (and as far as I understand, which port
> is maintained), but about making needed but broken software work again
> (e.g. valgrind, which is compiliable, but absolutelly not runnable
> since freebsd-7.0, and unfortunatelly has no replacement...)

Well, it all depends on how much work volunteers are willing to do.

fwiw, I periodically send out email about broken ports (as evaluated on
i386-current): http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20090126081726.DBA671CC6F

A less verbose, but constantly updated, version is at
http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsconcordanceforbroken.py .  It's showing
165 ports ATM, a few with PRs to fix them.

mcl