[RFC] New category proposal, i18n

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:29:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:53:13 +0300
Peter Pentchev <roam at ringlet.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 03:13:53PM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
> [snip]
> > Though I still reserve the right to hate the inconsistent use of 'z'
> > (why internationalize but surmise;
>
> I guess "surmise" just hasn't been US-ized yet :P

It's not really a matter of US v's British English, the consistent use
of "ise" is demotic British English, some better spellcheckers do have
an "ize" option for the British dictionary.

Z is preferred because it was spelt with a zeta in Greek, ise is
typically used where the word came from a french verb using ise, or
where the verb comes from a noun that already contains ise, eg.
advertise comes from advertisement not advert-ize.