[RFC] New category proposal, i18n

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 18:24:04 UTC 2009

On Wed 24 Jun 2009 at 06:56:10 PDT Thomas Abthorpe wrote:

>On June 23, 2009 04:36:08 pm Charlie Kester wrote:
>> On Tue 23 Jun 2009 at 12:05:55 PDT Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
>> >Localization is a subset Internationalization, so the new category
>> >becomes a catch all for both entities.
>>
>> If i18n is too cryptic or too alphanumeric, and internationalization is
>> too long, why not go with "nls"?
>
>I personally think that nls is equally as cryptic as i18n or l10n.

But it has the virtue of being purely alphabetic. and thus meets one of
the objections that have been raised.

I don't put much weight on the "cryptic" argument myself.  I expect that
anyone who is doing internationalization work is familiar with all of
these  terms -- and if not, they need to *make* themselves familiar with
them.