[REPOST] problem upgrading perl

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 10:19:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:12:17 -0500 (CDT)
Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>      If someone can tell me how to proceed from here, I'll give it
> another try.  However, once again the ports subsystem is testing my
> tolerance for frustration, so if there's no real hope of completing
> the entire rebuilding process for ports with build dependencies upon
> perl, please let me know, so I can try to undo what I've done so far
> and return to the old perl. Thanks in advance for any help.  Again,
> please copy me in on responses to avoid a delay of up to a day for
> the next list digest to reach me.

Have you tried portmanager? I use irt all the time with great success.

	portmanager -u -l -y -p

It will create a log file so you can see what transpired. I also will
check all the ports to see that they are actually built with the
correct dependencies, something portupgrade fails to do consistently. I
have no idea about portmanster since I have not had great success with
it either; abet, that was several versions ago.

In any case, update your ports tree just prior to running the update
process. If all else fails, you could just run:

	portmanager -u -f

That would rebuild everything although at the expense of considerable
time depending on your system. On mine, it is almost a day.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

The so-called lessons of history are for the most part the
rationalizations of the victors.  History is written by the survivors.

	Max Lerner