[REPOST] problem upgrading perl

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 18 18:42:55 UTC 2009

Jim Trigg wrote:
> Actually, he was suggesting changing from perl\* to perl-\* so it would
> only match the perl port.

FYI, the \* at the end is not needed, 'portmaster perl-' will work
just fine.

> Unfortunately, that won't work as there is at
> least one other port that will match that -- net/p5-perl-ldap (portname
> perl-ldap).

It's generally a good idea to check your facts before posting to the
list. Since the glob code goes by the directory names in /var/db/pkg,
and since the prefix will be there in the directory name, this won't
be an issue.

In any case, I updated the instructions for this, and the other
portmaster examples in /usr/ports/UPDATING a couple days ago so
hopefully no one else will stumble over this.

Doug