[MAINTAINER] devel/apr-gdbm-db42: apr-util 1.3.7 breaks dbd support

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at p6m7g8.com
Tue Jun 9 07:35:14 UTC 2009

Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 03:18 -0400, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> libsvn_fs_base is compiled if BDB support is detected.
>
> I think it calls Berkeley DB API directly, not via APU. Hence, the fact
> that -ldb was part of apu-1-config --libs, was just a historical
> accident.
>
> If a program calls apr_dbm*(), APU will load relevant support as DSO, so
> user doesn't need to link directly to the actual underlying DB library.
> If that particular DB type is not supported (i.e. not compiled in),
> error will be returned. That's my understanding.
>
> PS. We do have a workaround for ldap along these lines, where we report
> ldap in --libs, unless --avoid-ldap is passed to the config script.
> Maybe we should do this here, to avoid breaking compilation
> compatibility. Opinions?

I think you have to given the versioning rules.  And for gdbm too et al too.

Its certainly not ABI/API compatible.  Speaking of which why wasn't this
only in 1.4.x/trunk(2.x) ?

Excellent, Bojan, now I've got the history and why, and understand whats
happened.  I don't think teaching subversion about this fact will be
sufficient --

There are over 56 apps in the freebsd ports tree with over 900 depends
that this breaks as is, though most of which indirectly depend on
subversion.