Automatically generate symlinks for virtual categories.

Eitan Adler eitanadlerlist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:46:47 UTC 2009

Vitaly Magerya wrote:
>> I'll added your script to mine as a option.
> Yeah, I've done that too in the mean time, take a look: [1].
> In that version both traverse algorithms share common linking code,
> it seems more maintainable this way.

Interesting - I will play with my version and try to make it more
modular like yours. I'm also working on making it a port:
ports-mgmt/symports.

> (I've added -w and -i to catch up with you, but the code overall
> is quite different, sorry about that).
No problem - different code == interesting code

> There's a question about the test for main category dir:
> if you use -w to specify a directory different than that of -p,
> a simlink "$whereto/category/portname-category" will be created.
> Maybe "$whereto/category/portname" would be the right thing in this case?
No - you still have the issue of languages. For example japanese/xchat
and irc/xchat have the same name. This is the issue I was trying to avoid.

> [1] http://tx97.net/pub/files/auto-symlink-virtual.sh

Thanks for the ideas (and code)!

--
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."