Is fetching source RPMs in linux ports really required?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jun 5 15:02:13 UTC 2009

In message: <20090605133321.GA18653 at hades.panopticon>
            Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru> writes:
: Hi!
:
: I have concerns with linux ports fetching source RPMs when
: PACKAGE_BUILDING is defined. As I understand, that is done to comply
: with GPL, however GPL does not strictly require mirroring sources,
: and just a not on where t get them would suffice. Here's forward
: of message with details.

I don't think that GPLv2 section 3c applies because we've not received
an section 3b offer to redistribute.  Instead, the RPMs are provided
under section 3a.  The FSF made a big deal about this not being
sufficient a while ago.

I've not done a GPLv3 analysis.

Warner

: ----- Forwarded message from Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3 at hades.panopticon> -----