Unable to build "graphics/gd"

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 13:19:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:23:27 +0200
Marcus von Appen <mva at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On, Sun Jul 19, 2009, Jerry wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:00:30 +0200
> > Marcus von Appen <mva at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Looks like it tries to link against the older version that's still
> > > installed. Try to deinstall gd first, then build and install it
> > > again.
> >
> > Thanks, that fixed it. Strange, but I have not had that problem
> > before.
>
> Just for informational purposes:
>
> It is a problem with how the FreeBSD upgrade tools work and how a port
> (read: application, library, whatever) manages its own build.
>
> Usually a port, in case it links to one of its own components, should
> do that by using the just built component in its build directory.
> Some of them however do not do that but use the complete system
> environment, thus it can happen that they link to e.g. an older
> version of themselves or so, causing anything to fail as you just
> noticed.
>
> Regards
> Marcus

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I don't suppose that there is a
recommended procedure to prevent just such an occurrence again in the
future? Not that it is really all that important. I believe that this
is the first time this has happened to me.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

If a can of Alpo costs 38 cents, would it cost $2.50 in Dog Dollars?