[HEADSUP]: Ports freeze schedule for 8.0-RELEASE

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Jul 17 20:39:36 UTC 2009

Hello all,

It will be great if I can get more people to help test with
libtool/libltdl 2.2 before the freeze. It already has been tested in
pointyhat-exp last week, we have fixed almost all of error logs. Only
three ports have been marked as BROKEN is x11-wm/ion-2, audio/ccaudio and
lang/ccscript. If anyone want to fix those, feel free to or those will be
remove if nobody fix it in a few months. I have sent an email to pav for
request another run in pointyhat-exp. However, to test libtool/libltdl,
you will need to checkout ports-stable module from MarcusCom CVS.

1) See document: http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ ...

2) Checkout ports tree by cvsup, csup, or whatever by your choice.

3) fetch http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/marcusmerge script, then run
'sh marcusmerge -m ports-stable' and the password is 'anoncvs'.

4) You must run devel/libtool22/files/libtool22_hack.sh first before you
try to install anything in ports tree. The libtool22_hack.sh will edit all
ports/*/*/Makefile* to change libtool:15 -> libtool:22, devel/libtool15 ->
devel/libtool22 and etc. If you need to create INDEX then you need to edit
devel/Makefile by change lib*15 -> lib*22.

5) Reinstall everything that depend on libltdl due to shared library
version bump, do this (untest):

portmaster -o devel/libtool22 libtool-1.5\*
portmaster -o devel/libltdl22 libltdl-1.5\*
portmaster -r libltdl\*

I believe that it's same way for portupgrade.

If there is anything that behave change after this upgrade, let me know
and I will try to fix it. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mezz

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 04:05:30 -0500, Erwin Lansing <erwin at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> Below is the tentative schedule for the ports freeze in preparation for
> 8.0-RELEASE.  If any major delays occur in the overall release schedule,
> the dates may be postponed, but please start preparing to have your
> changed committed to the tree before August 17 to ensure they are
> included in the release.  Also, portmgr kindly asks anyone who has
> anything major lined up to already from today start mailing portmgr
> about these so we know what to expect and not be surprised by any major
> fallout that might extend the short freeze we have planned.
>
> August 17: ports tree is frozen and package build begin
> August 24: ports tree is thawed and final package builds begin
> August 31: FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE is released and ports tree is unfrozen
>
> -erwin

FreeBSD GNOME Team