Unhappy Xorg upgrade

keneasson keneasson at zoho.com
Fri Jan 30 02:03:21 PST 2009

I have to agree with you that this latest update was most problematic for me. I keep my system very up-to-date, usually every 3-5 days. FreeBSD 7.1 RELENG (Which is stable at the moment) on Toshiba X200-AX1

Two major problems both noted in UPDATING but still cause of a huge number of problems were my xorg conf file settings (had to make several changes to x11 config to get X to start and mouse to move besides the ones noted in UPDATNG), my start is still riddled with errors. One problem is that i'm using amd64 but have an nVidia card. My laptop has dual cards for driving the single screen, and this no longer works - now card(0) is driving both sides of the screen, and card(1) is unloaded. There are a number of other problems related to video that i'm not very worried about, i only have an interest in one game - and i play it about once every 6 months at most. (flightgear)

bigger problem with libxcb,
first - i don't have portsupdate installed, only portmaster.
now - the fist confession is that i had no idea what libxcb is, or why i might need it, so i just ignored that bit of UPDATING. After portmaster -a failed with a reference to libxcb and i rebuilt 5 or 6 ports manually to get past that, then rescanned UPDATING for libscb, i tried:
portmaster -rf libxcb
that ran overnight, and didn't do a single scrap of good.

finally - i installed and ran
libchk -V /list of folders/ (most problems identified in /usr/local )
recommend piping that into a log so you can search throught it for libxcb dependent ports - my output is huge, and i had to keep pausing and writing down ports as fast as my little fingers could move.
on a lof of folders, to discover that a whole list of programs were all linked to libxcb.so.1 including metacity, nautilus, cups, policykit, etc. that didn't get updated by -rf libxcb, i started with metacity;
portmaster metacity
portmaster cups*
portmaster policykit
etc...
and worked throgh the list of about 25 ports.

startx finally works but i still had no windows manager (metacity) which i had to rebuild again to make it finally work. Now i have a working system, but there is still no Gnome-splash-screen. so far everything else is working, but it's taken me a good 24 hours to make my X system usable.

ken.

---- On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org> wrote ----