xorg upgrade and /etc/ttys regression

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Tue Jan 27 10:37:07 PST 2009

Hi,

I've used to start my login manager with /etc/ttys for years now (After I
considered myself became to lazy to type startx).

After yesterdays xorg upgrade I've noticed, that the login manager which
comes up right after going to multiuser has no working mouse or keyboard
support. This is probably because the login manager gets started by
/sbin/init which uses getttyent which parses /etc/ttys. This all happens
before hald is being started which is the problem here.

So the solution seems to be to drop/remove login manager startups
from /etc/ttys and move over to rc.d startup.

This might be an information which others (people also using /etc/ttys)
might find usefull so I'm sharing it...

When upgrading to latest xorg - make sure you are retiring your /etc/ttys
upgrade

(Or am I the only one experiencing this? Maybe my system is just to slow
to start hald fast enough? ;)

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/