An upgrade to xorg-server-1.5.3_1,1/libxcb-1.1.93

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 25 21:32:13 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 22:12 -0600, Wes Morgan wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Robert Noland wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 21:54 -0500, Alex Goncharov wrote:
>
> > Xorg is moving more in that direction... Using hal for device
> > configuration is now the default.  However, you can still statically
> > configure devices.  See xorg.conf(5), AllowEmptyInput, AutoAddDevices,
> > AutoEnableDevices.
> >
> > So, yes you can still configure it without HAL support, it just isn't
> > the preferred method.
> >

> I've been avoiding HAL like the plague as well. It frobs my ath wireless
> card when it tries to probe it.

This issue should be resolved in -CURRENT.  It was actually a kernel
issue that I whined about until it got fixed.  running dumpcis on a
running card produced the same issue.

> Disabling it works, but KDE runs like
> garbage with hal running, and I get zombie processes of
> "hal-storage-cleanup--all-mountpoints" when I try to shut it down... In
> short, I avoid it wherever possible!

I don't run kde, so no help there..

robert.