firefox plugin policy

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Thu Jan 22 01:28:18 PST 2009

I've got a patch for www/xpi-downthemall, which would update it
to the latest version and thus allow to use it with Firefox3,
while breaking compatibility with Firefox2. And I wonder what
the policy is for this kind of thing. Should it be branched to
www/xpi-ff3-downthemall or should the original port be upgraded
regardless?

On the one hand Firefox2 is still the default, but on the other
hand it has reached EOL.

In my opinion Firefox2 should be moved to www/firefox2 and
www/firefox should become a meta-port that should install
www/firefox3.