FreeBSD Port: xfe-1.19.2_1

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net
Mon Jan 19 11:57:14 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:59:40PM +0100, Leslie Jensen wrote:
> Hello
>
> When I try to start xfe it produces the error message below.
>
> les at blj01~:xfe
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libtasn1.so.3" not found, required
> by "libcups.so.2"
>
> I've tried to fix it by doing
>
> portmaster -r xfe-1.19.2_1 and
> portmaster -r libtasn1-1.8
>
> But it does not help. The problem is new, must have come with updating
> some port.

Hi Leslie,

The problem is not related to xfe directly, but it's a dependency issue.

libcups.so.2 wants libtasn1.so.3, which is unavailable, probably because you
upgrade security/libtasn1 (To which libtasn1.so.3 belongs).
When libtasn1 was updated to version 1.8 yesterday the library version got
incremented, libtasn1.so.4 gets installed now, not libtasn1.so.3

There are severalthings you can do:
o Rebuild cups (print/cups-base IIRC), this is the best option, but takes some
  time.

o Downgrade to the previous version of libtasn1 (Version 1.6), this is a good
  solution but only delays the current issue.

o Symlink /usr/local/lib/libtasn1.so to /usr/local/lib/libtasn1.so.3, this
  *may* or *may not* work, and it *may* or *may not* make cups and applications
  that use libcups instable. This is a quick and dirty fix.

o Rebuild x11-toolkits/fox16 without CUPS (Use `make config' to change
  options and/or use WITHOUT_CUPS), doesn't really solve the cups problem, but
  at least xfe will work fine.

Let me know if you have any further questions/problems,

--
Martin Tournoij
carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net
http://www.daemonforums.org

QOTD:
Normal times may possibly be over forever.