[www/sams] why did commiter bump PORTREVISION ? Now it's broken.

Yuriy Grishin usgrishin at samaradom.ru
Fri Jan 16 22:22:56 PST 2009

Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:48:30PM +0400, Yuriy Grishin wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> I'm the maintainer of the port www/sams.
>>
>> In early of December 2008 the developer released new version of SAMS --
>> 1.0.4
>> I tried to take most of users comments and sent pr
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=129816
>>
>> Few days afterwards miwi wrote that he couldn't extract my diff (may be
>> because I had sent it using windows+seamonkey?)
>> I upload files to my homepage and submitted follow-up.
>> A few days later I saw that the port has been updated, BUT:
>> 1) http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=129816 the pr is open (is
>> it normal?)
>>

> The PR is still open because it has not been resolved yet.  Your patch
> is still outstanding.

I see.
>> 2) commiter bumped PORTREVISION and it leads to port corruption because
>>
>> -------------------Makefile-------------------
>> DISTNAME=       ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}
>> -------------------Makefile-------------------
>> thus it searches sams-1.0.3 instead of sams-1.0.4 ==> hash check will fail
>>

> According to the CVS logs PORTREVISION was bumped because of the
> OpenLDAP update.  This is normal.
>
> The distfile information never changed with this commit.  I was just now
> able to fetch and verify the checksums for the distfile so I don't see
> any problem.  When the patch in ports/129816 is applied there won't be a
> problem with checksum either as the distinfo will be updated to reflect
> the new distfile.

I didn't know that distfile is untouched now. Thanks for the explanation.
>> Questions :
>>
>> 1.Should have I say in the pr that it was not only has been updated by
>> me but also by the developer?
>>

> I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

I mean.... Not only a few options to the port added (make config options).
Binaries are also different thus distfiles must be different otherwise
the port is broken.
I didn't know about the trick with distfiles, sorry for the panic.
>> 2.What should I do now?
>>

> Nothing.  I'm sure Martin will get to this PR when he has time and will
> contact you if there are any problems with the update.

Allright, okay.