numerous gcc installations

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sun Jan 11 11:36:10 PST 2009

Robert Huff wrote:
> Hello:
>
>>  A few days ago, gcc-4.3 became the default fortran compiler for
>>  the ports.  Go ahead and erase the gcc-4.2 compiler - create the
>>  gcc-4.3 compiler, and everything after that will be fine.
>
> 	1) What is the realtionship between this gcc and the gcc used
> to compile the system?
> 	2) Do you know why this isn't noted in /usr/ports/UPDATING?

Answers:

2) You make a good point.  Why don't you raise this on ports at freebsd?
This should be corrected.  In fact, I am going to copy this to
ports at freebsd.

1) I think that in most cases, the only reason why gcc is brought in is
because the gcc that is in the base system does not include a fortran
compiler.  So any port that uses fortran (e.g. lapack, etc) has to
install a fortran compiler.

Having said all this, why doesn't bsd.gcc.mk first check to see if
gfortran42 was already installed, and then only install gfortran43 if a
fortran is needed?

But I have the impression that quite a few changes have been made to
bsd.gcc.mk recently, so some mistakes are understandable.

Stephen