Porting sup MUA to FreeBSD

Ashish SHUKLA wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 04:52:14 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to port sup[1], a MUA, to FreeBSD. For that I've created its
port and the ports of it dependencies. I've faced following problems
while porting:

1. Some of its dependencies are already ported to FreeBSD but are using
   a tarball as source instead of the gem which is expected by the sup
   gem. So, I've created separate ports for those packages as gems. I'm
   wondering if this is okay.

2. The gem of sup needs some patching for FreeBSD, which I'm not able to
   do because FreeBSD ports system install gems in oneshot (i.e. no
   separate build or extract target, everything is done in install
   target). The NetBSD's rubygem[2] packaging system on the other hand
   extracts, builds and packages gems separately. So my port of sup
   installs fine but doesn't function as expected due to some GNU/Linux
   specific stuff involved.

Any suggestions about the problems mentioned above are welcome. I've not
submitted them to the PR database yet. As I don't know ruby, it will be
difficult for me to maintain the ports. If anyone else is interested in
maintaining/looking at the ports, please visit following URL:

http://gitorious.org/projects/abbe-freebsd-ports/repos/mainline/commits/b4577e9ed16f0f2d18f061804e784f294b264a98