Removing stale dependencies

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 10 11:20:49 PST 2009

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> I just started using portmaster this past week, and it appears to go a
> bit crazy removing dependencies -- there were a lot of libraries
> broken after removing dependencies that shouldn't have been. This
> could all be because of bad dependencies in the Makefiles though.

It's more likely to be a case of having manually deleted things in the
past (using pkg_delete -f) which can cause the ports infrastructure to
lose track of what depends on what.

Try using 'portmaster --check-depends'

> For instance, I kept azureus, but zapped libcroco and libgnome (I
> thought they had gotten included in the wine-doors install I deleted
> on my system), and it broke my upgrade from azureus to vuze (the
> libraries for both are essentially the same, but vuze uses swt-devel
> whereas azureus uses swt I think..).

When you use portmaster to update (or install) something it will check
the existing ports on your system and update the dependency tracking
accordingly, so while this breakage is unfortunate, it is more or less
self healing.

If you're concerned about this problem going forward you can use the
-b option so that anything that is removed by mistake can easily be
reinstalled. However once the dependency tracking in /var/db/pkg is
updated this shouldn't be a problem going forward.

hth,

Doug