A question about the rrd tools port

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Jan 4 19:40:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 02:33:30PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > It looks to me as if at least some of the man pages installed by rrdtool
> > do not have corresponding executables because they are purely
> > documentation:  e.g., bin_dec_hex; cdeftutorial; rpntutorial;
> > rrdgraph_examples.
>
> OK, here is an example of what I am asking about "rrdrestore". The function
> can be done with rrdtool import, but why is tere a man page, if there is
> not intended to be  an executable, or a llink?

That's a different case from the examples I cited above.

Like cvs(1), rrdtool(1) is a single executable that takes several
different (sub)commands.

Unlike cvs(1) (and like perl(1)), the way the rrdtool(1) man pages are
arranged involves having separate man pages for each subcommand (or
other aspect of rrdtool that the author or contributors wished to
document).

E.g., the man page is called "rrdrestore", but as the SYNOPSIS of that
man page shows, it is invoked as "rrdtool restore ...."

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.