Ports on Macbook

Sean Cavanaugh Millenia2000 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 07:34:02 PST 2009

From: "Chris Rees" <utisoft at googlemail.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:31 AM
To: "Sergio de Almeida Lenzi" <lenzi at k1.com.br>
List" <freebsd-ports at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: Ports on Macbook

> 2009/2/27 Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi at k1.com.br>:

for simple clarification. OSX is built on top of Darwin which is BASED on
FreeBSD, but is not BSD. its BSD code built on top of the Mach kernel.
Ports are just the source code for the programs yer looking for anyway so
there's nothing stopping you from doing stuff like installing OpenOffice or
Gimp under OSX.
I've seen people replace the Quartz interface with Gnome before.  overall Im
with you in abstaining from anything with the name "apple" attached to it
since its all overpriced underpowered crap.