git snapshots, PORTVERSION, PORTEPOCH

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 24 04:14:35 PST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:18:00 -0600
"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:45:01AM +0200 I heard the voice of
> Ion-Mihai Tetcu, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Since you have the date, you can easily get the git magic string.
>
> Not necessarily true at all, in VCS's that don't limit to single-line
> history.  Consider the case where I'm working on a feature in a
> private branch since 2000-01-01.  You take a snapshot of the trunk
> branch on 2000-02-01.  My branch is merged on 2000-03-01.
>
> Now on 2000-04-01, somebody wants to look back and figure out which
> revision corresponds to your timestamp.  There are at least 2 paths
> through the history that could have a commit at [to any arbitrary
> granularity] the exact same date/time; there could well be more, on an
> active project.  Depending on the particular system and workflow, it
> may not even be theoretically possible to figure out which is referred
> to, short of doing full source comparisons; it can certainly be
> non-trivial in many cases.

1. Is this true in git case?
2. I wouldn't use a VCS that doesn't let me check out a version of the
sources as they were at a specific date in a given branch (including
HEAD). it's an anti-feature that negates the idea of VCS IMO.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B