TeXLive

Romain Tartière romain at blogreen.org
Fri Feb 20 11:50:42 PST 2009

Hi

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 09:06:18PM +0300, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> Thanks for throughout message about possibilities of
> porting TexLive to FreeBSD. This work is highly
> appeciated!
Thanks

> Personally, I think we should stick with #2 of your plan,
> as going with #3 will bring too many ports (thousands?)
> ports in our tree, which will be a nightmare to handle.
> I don't think we're ready for such a number of new ports
> in the three, even xorg with hundereds of ports slow
> down ports tree utils a lot. Also, I don't think TeX users
> ever want this kind of granularity. After all teTeX was
> only several ports.
Well, as Hiroki Sato is also working on it and has explained how cool
are his ports in the ports@ mailing list, I have just done the easiest
for me to have a TeXLive setup working on my computer while there is no
official TeXLive ports in the FreeBSD ports tree.  In other word, 1577
new ports, and you have to fix any other port depending on *TeX* that
fails by hand.

As it worked quite good (one you have all you want installed), and I
know at least one other person interested in having something --- even
somewhat broken --- *now*, I have just updated the freebsd-texlive
google group repository [1] with latest TeXLive packages,  tinderbuilt
the 1577 ports and created a tag.

If you can't wait for Hiroki's ports, you can merge them in your FreeBSD
ports tree, using portshaker [2] for example.

Regards,
Romain