FreeBSD Port: gnome2-lite-2.24.3

t-u-t marshc187 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:23:49 PST 2009

Steve Schmidt wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm attempting a fresh install of
> gnome2-lite<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/gnome2-lite/>and
> I'm encountering a rash of security issues.
>
> By fresh install, I am using FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE  with
> xorg<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/xorg/>7.4
> successfully installed.
>
> I am basically following the instructions on
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html
> # pkg_delete -rf pkg-config\*
> # cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
> # make clean
> # make install clean
>
> - but instead of port gnome2 and gnome2-lite.
>
> By security, I mean some of the ports will not install because of a
> dependency with firefox-2.0.0.20_2,1
>
> Through liberal applications of portmaster and installation of many of the
> individual ports (and getting the stink-eye from my wife for spending an
> entire Saturday on this), I managed to get a gnome session launched,
> however, the resulting product was unstable.
>
> I haven't tried a full-blown gnome install but I see that that includes
> Firefox 2 also in its dependecies
>
> Have any ideas?
>
> - Steve Schmidt
> Cary, NC

hi.
i had come across same problem this weekend when firefox3 saw an upgrade
and firefox2 got marked forbidden, but there are still some ports that
require firefox2 particularly for gecko.

a quick fix is to edit the Makefile of those ports that need gecko and
remove firefox from the USE_GECKO line, but you will still have to build
xulrunner.

i am kinda noob, so maybe you can get better advice, and i'm not
married, so i have a bit more time to play around, but replied cuz i am
getting some unstable builds from ports and am now trying to get them as
packages from wherever i can find them; and i don't know if you thought
you got an unstable gnome because of firefox