xorg hal dbus

Tom Mende tmende at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 9 20:54:12 PST 2009

Hi list;

I took the upgrade to xorg 7.4 and no matter what I do, I can not get
the any response from either the keyboard or the mouse under X, they
work fine on the console. "The installation via portupgrade -a"
removed the previous xorg.conf. I took the message from Jan 24 to mean
the problems with hal and xorg-server were fixed and hence felt safe
to upgrade... After much deinstalling of packages and reinstalling I
eventually got all the ports up to date. However the mouse and
keyboard will not work. Given the hal xorg-server issues appeared not
to have been fixed, I then tried following these instructions from Jan
23 however I had to restore a backed up version of xorg.conf because
the upgrade to 7.4 removed the previous one...

<snip>
20090124:
AFFECTS: users of x11-servers/xorg-server, sysutils/hal
AUTHOR: rnoland at FreeBSD.org
   sysutils/hal has been updated and should now properly detect
   mice for use in Xorg.  Use of AllowEmptyInput should no longer
   be needed for most users and moused should now work fine.

20090123:
   AFFECTS: users of x11-servers/xorg-server
   AUTHOR: rnoland at FreeBSD.org

   If you are using an older xorg.conf several config lines are
   no longer needed and will generate warnings when X is started.
   RgbPath will cause X to fail to start, remove it from your config.

   Server 1.5.3 also really wants to configure its input devices
   via hald.  This is causing some issues with moused and
   /dev/sysmouse.  There are a couple of options for how to deal
   with it.

   1. Add Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" to your ServerLayout section.
      This will cause X to use the configured kbd, mouse, and vmmouse
      sections from your xorg.conf

   2. Don't use moused.  If you want it to work with addon usb mice
      set this in rc.conf:

      moused_enable="NO"
      moused_nondefault_enable="NO"

   I'm working on fixing hald or the mouse driver or both.
<snip>
After restoring my old xorg.conf and commenting out the RgbPath line,
I added "AllowEmptyInput" "off" to the xorg.conf server layout section
and disabled moused in rc.conf as per above. Now on issuing startx I
get a message saying the "AllowEmptyInput" line can't be parsed. Where
should this line go?? From the context I assumed it should go into
xorg.conf, but if not, where??
pkg_version -v | grep xorg
linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5             =   up-to-date with port
xorg-7.4                            =   up-to-date with port
xorg-apps-7.4_1                     =   up-to-date with port
xorg-cf-files-1.0.2_3               =   up-to-date with port
xorg-docs-1.4,1                     =   up-to-date with port
xorg-drivers-7.4                    =   up-to-date with port
xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.4               =   up-to-date with port
xorg-fonts-7.4                      =   up-to-date with port
xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.4                =   up-to-date with port
xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.4             =   up-to-date with port
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.4          =   up-to-date with port
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.4             =   up-to-date with port
xorg-fonts-type1-7.4                =   up-to-date with port
xorg-libraries-7.4                  =   up-to-date with port
xorg-server-1.5.3_5,1               =   up-to-date with port
I now have all these messages on the terminal from where startx was
launched saying...
application x (i.e. thunar-vfs) WARNING **: Failed to connect to HAL
daemon: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket:
Socket operation on non-socket
Xlib: extension " Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
0.0"...five to ten lines of this depending upon the application
Do I have to somehow configure hal and hald? I can't seem to find
anything to tell me how to do this either.
Suggestions?
Cheers,

Tom