Lighttpd's initscript

L Campbell llc2w at virginia.edu
Mon Feb 9 18:08:31 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM, David DEMELIER <demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you use php FastCGI module with lighttpd daemon, it will start some new
> process like that:
>
> www      php-cgi      673 root /             2 drwxr-xr-x     512  r
> www      php-cgi      673   wd /usr     1183830 drwxr-xr-x   21504  r
> www      php-cgi      673 text /usr     1184503 -rwxr-xr-x  2521078  r
>
> These process are not killed when you try to restart lighttpd by running
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lighttpd restart, so
> I think maybe this would be a good idea to make kill all process launched by
> lighttpd in the initscript.

AFAIK, Lighttpd is *supposed* to kill all the child processes it
spawns. I've always had lots of trouble with it's FCGI implementation
in the past (I'm convinced it's process management logic is b0rked).
I've found that spawning the FCGI processes external to Lighttpd (with
their included spawn-fcgi binary, wrapped with an rc script) is more
reliable.

Granted, that has practically nothing to do with the topic -- just
some food for thought :)