Xorg disaster

Lars Eighner portsuser at larseighner.com
Thu Feb 5 18:43:25 PST 2009

Xorg upgrade (gory details follow) went south.  I must have a working
graphics browser by Monday.  This is pretty much *vital*, as in a matter of
survival.

What is the fastest and/or surest way to get a platform that will run
firefox or opera?

a. try to get my nvidia hardware to work with a generic (vesa or vga) driver?
b. try to downgrade Xorg to something that worked.

Hints on either course would be appreciated.

What happened: upgraded system from 7.1 prerelease to 7.1 release p2.

cvsupped the ports tree.  Upgraded Xorg and nvidia-driver (after upgrading
perl and everything portupgrade -fr perl5.8 will upgrade (as the script
failed miserably).  This was after 20090124 when the mouse problem was
supposed to be fixed.

What happens:  first there is something undefined in nvidia's libwfb
so I changed the symbolic link to point to Xorg's version of the lib.
That message went away, but there are tons of "Generic Event Extension"
missing messages and no mouse --- what is more the accessibility keypad
mouse thing doesn't work at all.

I can't pay my bills and I can't get to another computer to use someone
else's browser to do it.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html