mplayer from SVN

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Thu Dec 31 00:02:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:

> Hi Doug, Wes, list,
>
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:19, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > B) I don't think "daily" is a reasonable target, but neither is "every
> > 3 years."
>
> This is correct. While it's true that I was hoping for the mplayer
> developers to change their minds and subscribe to a decent release
> engineering process, it seems it is not going to happen anytime soon.
> I was planning to switch the mplayer port to a svn snapshot some time
> next week (new year's resolution!) and continue with updated snapshot
> ports in the range of ~3 months or so. That is, if there is no
> objection from committers's perspective.

I'll send it separately to those who have asked. Upgrading the mplayer and
mencoder ports may not be as simple as a drop in. They require a newer
version of x264, which there is already a pr for updating. I'm not certain
about all of the dependencies, but there will be a shared library version
to chase, and I believe that some ports may fail to detect it or even not
compile. There is also the issue of the age of gcc in base. I use gcc44
from ports and enable the assembler in x264. It might just be my
imagination, but I'm fairly sure my encodes get quite a few more fps on
average.