mailman web access to archives failure:

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Tue Dec 29 17:54:49 UTC 2009

> David Southwell wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Thank you Boris
> >
> > After reading your files I changed the httpd.conf to follow your format
> > but it still did not work :-(.
> >
> > Here are my entries:
> >

> > # This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
> > #
> > <Directory "/usr_www/virtualwebs/vizion2000.net">
> >     #
> >     # Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
> >     # or any combination of:
> >     #   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI
> > MultiViews
> >     #
> >     # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
> >     # doesn't give it to you.
> >     #
> >     # The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please
> > see # http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options
> >     # for more information.
> >     #
> >     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
> >
> >     #
> >     # AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess
> > files. # It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords: #
> > Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
> >     #
> >     AllowOverride None
> >
> >     #
> >     # Controls who can get stuff from this server.
> >     #
> >     Order allow,deny
> >     Allow from all
> >
> > </Directory>
> > ScriptAlias /mailman     " /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
> > <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/">
> >         Options ExecCGI
> >         Order allow,deny
> >         Allow from all
> >      </Directory>
> > Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
> > <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
> >  Options  ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
> >        Order allow,deny
> >           Allow from all
> > Options Indexes MultiViews
> >   AddDefaultCharset Off
> > DirectoryIndex index.html
> >     </Directory>
> > #
> >
> > Seems I am struggling with this.
> >
> > Thanks again for all your help. Lets hope I can someone can spot
> > something soon. These things are usually caused by a daft error on my
> > part!!
> >
> > David
>
> Hi David,
>
> Can you post a listing of the contents of the directory
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/?
>
> Also, please visit
> http://www.vizion2000.net/pipermail/bps_comp_print_reminders/ and post
> the request errors from httpd-error.log.
>
> Thank you,
> Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for staying with this - here is the info you asked for:

dns1# cd /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
dns1# ls -l
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 www  www  55 Dec 19 17:58 bps_comp_print_chat ->
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/bps_comp_print_chat
lrwxr-xr-x  1 www  www  60 Dec 19 17:57 bps_comp_print_reminders ->
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/bps_comp_print_reminders
lrwxr-xr-x  1 www  www  60 Dec 19 17:56 bps_comps_print_announce ->
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/bps_comps_print_announce
dns1#

error-log shows:
[Tue Dec 29 17:46:00 2009] [error] [client 62.49.197.50] Symbolic link not
allowed or link target not accessible:
/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/bps_comp_print_reminders

Sudden thought I had not mentioned:

This server is running SSL
(Apache/2.2.14 mod_ssl/2.2.14)

Is there any chance that could possibly affect access to the archives??
Everything else works. Incidentally /usr/local/mailman/ and its subdirectories
are on a separate physical drive to the document root  which is
/usr_www/virtualwebs/vizion2000.net/
Thanks again

David