Mailman - group mismatch error

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Tue Dec 29 09:31:53 UTC 2009

> > On Dec 28, 2009, at 3:57 AM, David Southwell wrote:
> > > The entry in maillog does not say how to tweak postfix!
> >
> > Be sure to install mailman from ports and set the make options for
> > postfix.
> >
> >  cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
> >  sudo make config
> >
> > and choose the postfix option.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > -j
>
> Thanks v. much.
>
> Unfortunately there is a configuration mismatch which occurs if the
> instructions given by mailman are followed. After creating a list mailman
> suggests that aliases are added to /etc/aliases.  If those aliases are
>  copied as instructed my experience is the group mismatch error reported in
>  this thread. The aliases are in fact generated when mailmans
>  bin/genaliases command is run.
>
> Judging from the results of google searches I seem not to be the only one
>  who has experienced this result after installing mailman from the ports
>  setting the mail options for postfix.
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.. maybe a warning needs to be added to the
> documentation.
>
> David
PS

This is how Mark Sapiro explained the problem on mailman users list:

"This [ sic: referring to the errors I posted] indicates that the wrapper is
expecting group 'mailman' which is
correct, but either 'mailman's primary group is 'nobody' which is both
wrong and unlikely, or Postfix found the alias for
bps_comps_print_announce in /etc/aliases.db which is owned by root so
it fell back to 'default_privs'.

I suspect the latter is the explanation. There should be no Mailman
aliases in /etc/aliases. Mailman will maintain them automatically in
data/aliases which should be referenced in Postfix' alias_maps.

San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan"