mplayer from SVN

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 17:47:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM, eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
>>> I have a "port" for building the latest exported snapshot from SVN, but
>>> it requires manual editing because the extract dir changes daily.
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> does your port deinstall cleanly ? - I would love to use an mplayer
>> version newer than the 3-year old RC.
>> If yes, I would very appreciate if you could send it to me :)
>

> I'll go the old "Me Too" route.  I like the idea very much.
>
> Look forward to using it.

Does anybody know why are we still using 3-year old version? I mean,
mplayer (and its brother mencoder) are one of "THE" killer apps on
*nix, and I see obscure 20-year old games being updated more often in
the ports collection. Did something specific happen to mplayer that it
ended in this state? I could hardly believe the reason is only that
upstream decided to stop releasing tarballs, after all, this never
stopped anybody in creating -devel ports. Why was mplayer different?
Is there any background info?

s.