New version of the fakeroot patch

Michaël Grünewald michael.grunewald at laposte.net
Wed Dec 16 09:19:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

Warren Block wrote:

> A suggestion: USE_FAKE is not descriptive.  It doesn't tell what is fake
> or what happens.  I'm not sure fake is the even the right word.
>
> USE_FAKEROOT is better, but still ambiguous: it's not really fake, and
> "root" can mean too many things.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is consider a name that describes what is
> accomplished, not how it works.

The Macports system offers a functionality analogous to the one
described by the OP. In Macports' Guide this functionality is described so:

«Understanding the destroot phase is critical to understanding MacPorts,
  because, unlike some port systems, MacPorts "stages" an installation
  into an intermediate location —not the final file destination.»

Maybe this can help to find a more explicit name than «fake».
--
Cheers,
Michaël