Pointyhat packages

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 12 23:55:57 UTC 2009

Jonathan píše v čt 10. 12. 2009 v 09:50 -0500:
> On 12/8/2009 7:52 PM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> >
> > What is the policy for package building nodes? I mean, is it possible to
> > use some machines not owned directy by FreeBSD.org?
> > For example, I have spare machine in our rack which I can lend for some
> > period (until some production machine goes down and needs to be replaced
> > by this spare machine) or maybe I can set up some older unused machine
> > (IBM x336).
> >
> > Is deploying of new node easy task or is it something special that is
> > not useful to do for relatively short period of time?
>
> I was wondering about this myself.  I have a dual quad system that is
> almost completely idle most of the time and would love to see it used
> for something helpful to the project.  I can guarantee access to it for
> at least a year if that helps.

That would be a "remote node". It's possible, but it's not for
everybody.

First, it will generate an obscene amount of network traffic, both ways.

Second, you need to fully surrender it and give us root on it.

Also remote console access or at least power toggle would be good.
Then Mark can borg it. :)

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>