portmaster-with-package-support release candidate available for testing

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 12 02:10:31 UTC 2009

Alberto Villa wrote:
> On Friday 11 December 2009 20:22:26 Doug Barton wrote:
>> First, I'm assuming that you are using version 2.14 from ports. That's
>> the latest version at the  moment.
>
> i was using the latest revision, which seems to be the same as 2.14.
> upgraded to 2.14, now
>
>> Next, I tried the exact same command line you used in your example and
>> it worked for me.
>
> it works for me too, now... great!

Good news!

> the only thing i have (referred to the next problem) is
> PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9-
> current in the environment
>
>> Then run the commands that are giving you problems again. I did see
>> your other messages about -P and --packages-build aborting if they
>> can't find a package, that shouldn't be happening either, and does not
>> happen in my testing; so something is definitely not working the way
>> it should for you and I want to make sure that we figure out what it is.
>
> could it be because my PACKAGESITE is actually an empty directory?
> log here: http://pastebin.ca/1711679

Yes, the error message you posted is exactly what's supposed to
happen. "There is nothing at $PACKAGESITE" is a whole different
category of problems than "the latest version of the package is not
available at $PACKAGESITE." In the latter case with --packages-build
or -P|--packages portmaster will simply build the port for you. If
there is nothing at $PACKAGESITE at all that's something that requires
the user's attention.

Doug