portmaster-with-package-support release candidate available for testing

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 5 20:40:16 UTC 2009

Dima Panov wrote:
> Doug, haw about missed feature (portupgrade had this earlier)?
> If -r (recursive) flag present, after upgrade package repack all depended on him.

I thought more about this and realized that I'm not 100% sure what
you're asking for. :)

If you use -g along with -r now, all of the ports that get
rebuilt/reinstalled will have new packages generated that contain
their updated dependencies. So that case is handled already.

OTOH, is what you're asking for is essentially for -r to be recursive?
Which is to say that if you do 'portmaster -g -r fooport' and barport
depends on fooport, you want to repackage everything that depends on
barport as well? That would make sense if barport is upgraded to a new
version as a side effect of 'portmaster -g -r fooport', otherwise I
don't see the value in repackaging things that depend on barport
because (AFAICS) the packages will not change.

If I'm missing something or you're asking for something different,
please let me know.

Doug