nvidia-driver 64bit version

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 4 16:38:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 15:18 +0000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 03:47:24PM +0100, Emanuel Haupt wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I was wondering if you're working on a port for the 64bit version of
> > the new beta state nvidia driver [1].
>
> Yup, thanks for the pointer.  I'm considering options right now.
>

> > Since it's a completely different version it should IMO be separate from
> > x11/nvidia-driver. Maybe x11/nvidia-driver-amd64 and x11/nvidia-driver
> > could be renamed to x11/nvidia-driver-i386.
>
> This would be the easiest route, but I'm not sure this is the best thing
> to do.  From user's perspective, one should be able to "cd
> category/port" and "make install".  The rest (including taking care of
> architecture-dependent things) should be handled by underlying
> infrastructure.  Right now I believe our bpm is capable of the task, and
> my pmake/bpm-fu is strong enough, we'll see.

I've never actually used the blob, but is the new driver only amd64?  I
presume that it does need at least 8.0-RELEASE to work, but I can't
imagine that the underlying code would be different for i386/amd64.
i.e. the new driver *should* be better on both i386 and amd64, at least
if they have compiled an i386 version.

I do still wish that nvidia would join the rest of the modern world and
decide to release docs and code like every other vendor, but that is a
different debate I suppose.

robert.

> ./danfe
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>