portmaster-with-package-support release candidate available for testing

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 3 21:29:22 UTC 2009

Christer Solskogen wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> You can find the information on accessing the svn version at
>> http://dougbarton.us/portmaster-proposal.html
>>
>> A more-or-less complete list of the new features:
>>
>> - -P|--packages, -PP|--packages-only
>>     Basically like the portupgrade features to try downloading a package
>> first then build it if no package is available, or use only packages.
>>

> Bug report:
>
> web# pkg_version -IL=
> ImageMagick-nox11                   <
> freetype2                           <
> glib                                <
> libltdl                             <
> libxml2                             <
> mysql-proxy                         <
>
> All of these out of date ports have a new prebuilt package in
> /usr/ports/packages/All - Created with portmaster.

I haven't updated the man page yet, but portmaster looks for updated
packages in ${PACKAGES:-/usr/ports/packages}/portmaster-download. You
should be able to make that a symlink to your All directory and it
should work.

> portmaster -a -PP gives alot of: /usr/local/sbin/portmaster: cannot
> create : No such file or directory - (Are they harmless?)

Nope. I need to know more about what you're doing when you see those
error messages.

> portmaster also wants to download from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.0-release/devel/libltdl-2.2.6b.tbz
> even if the packages is available in /usr/ports/packages/devel:

See above, as of now it doesn't look in category-specific directories
on the local file system. I'm open to suggestions on how people think
this should work, but I'd like to avoid making too many options since
the code is already more complex than I'd like.

> In my case web is a jailed guest where /usr/ports and
> /usr/ports/packages  is a null mount from the host.

That may be the source of the errors you mentioned above, but it's
hard to know without more information.

In any case, thanks for testing the new code! :)

Doug