creating a meta port ports-mgmt/pkg_upgrade

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 18:02:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de>wrote:

> Freddie Cash wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de
> >wrote:

> >> Would such a thing be accepted? I feel sceptical, because it does
> >> not even depend on several packages and the real solution in my
> >> opinion would be if people searched the ports tree with
> >> "make quicksearch cat=ports-mgmt" instead of browsing the file
> >> system. But they don't and I know of no way making them do it.
> >>

> > You could always split out the common code into a library port, and make
> > that a dependency for the pkg_upgrade and bsdadminscripts ports.
>
> Yes, I could. Do you think it makes sense to split a package that is
> smaller than 100kB into several smaller packages?
>
> There's also the "parent-child" port setup.  Keep everything in the
bsdadminscripts port.  Create a child port for "pkg_upgrade" that just
installs the pkg_upgrade part of things.

This is how the PHP module ports work.  Everything is stored in the main php
port, and the individual module ports just reference that, use the distfile
from the parent, and just install the bits they need.

That would be better.  Then there's only 1 real port with a distfile to be
maintained.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com