[HEADUP] FreeBSD Gecko's TODO and plan for future

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Tue Aug 25 12:08:32 UTC 2009

Hi Doug,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:31:42PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> portmaster -x firefox -r firefox-2.34
> (substitute the actual value for the installed firefox port)
>
> but it should work.
>
> There are at least three other ways to do something similar. One would
> be to use -i instead of -x, another would be an +IGNOREME file. Read
> the man page for how to use the latter.
>
> Yet another way to do what you proposed in the part of your post that
> I snipped (building based on a list) would have been to do this:
>
> pkg_info -q -R firefox-2* > list
> portmaster `cat list`
>
> That's probably the simplest way to do what you were trying to
> accomplish, and would have had the benefit of portmaster caching all
> the data on up to date dependencies, and building the things in the
> list in proper dependency order. Sorry to jump in after the fact with
> this news, but hopefully it will help someone else.
>
> The -f option means "rebuild everything in the chain, no matter what."
> If you just want to rebuild everything that has a dependency on the
> port you specify with -r, that is the default, you don't need -f.

Thanks for the tutorial!  I need to polish my portmaster foo.
I'm sure that I tried the -r -x combination and faild, but
perhaps there was another reason.  Even so, it should have been
obvous to me that just running portmaster on the list of firefox
dependents would do the right thing.  Must have been having a
dumb day.

Cheers,

--
Andrew