Let's add more DESKTOP_ENTRIES to our ports

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Fri Aug 21 12:27:53 UTC 2009

* Anonymous (swell.k at gmail.com) wrote:

> Don't you need to run update-desktop-database during post-install?
> It's not like using DESKTOPDIR or DESKTOP_ENTRIES adds appropriate
> @exec/@unexec in plist for you.

Yes I had that in mind. That may be done automatically for
DESKTOP_ENTRIES, and for software-installed .desktop files we may
introduce something like INSTALLS_DESKTOP=yes (anologue to
INSTALLS_ICONS).

Am I right that update-desktop-database just updates an index of
.desktop files which menu applicatino should monitor with gamin/fam
so they're updated on the fly? I've tried to run it once, but at
least xfce4-menu which I use for testing was not updated.

> > - Change icon path (some ports install icons into ${DATADIR},
>
> I think such ports should be fixed to install icons into share/pixmaps.

Is there a good reason to duplicate some files there?

> >   some (this likely only applies to games) have graphic sprites
> >   useable as icons, for others just list leave "" = no icon.
>
> Can I use icons from dependency ports for ports that don't have icons
> themselves, e.g. icons from audio/xmms2 for audio/gx2osd?
>
>     share/pixmaps/xmms2-128.png
>     share/pixmaps/xmms2-16.png
>     share/pixmaps/xmms2-32.png
>     share/pixmaps/xmms2-48.png
>     share/pixmaps/xmms2-black-on-white.svg
>     share/pixmaps/xmms2-white-on-black.svg
>     share/pixmaps/xmms2.svg

Hm, interesting one. If there's run-dependency on port with these icons
I believe yes, you can. If there is only build dependency, you can just
copy an icon in post-install (actually you can copy in in the first case
too, just to be sure).

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru