portmaster is not always recursive

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 18 18:10:29 UTC 2009

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> I have seen similar problem in the past with amavisd-new + spamassassin
>>> and their dependencies, but it is much bigger and complicated tree of
>>> dependencies and I have not evidence recorded for it.
>>> Reported case with jpeg / gd / png is the simplest one I have seen.
>>

>> Were these other cases also with the -r option, or were they when
>> doing "regular" upgrades?
>
> It was with regular upgrade, if I remember it well, but it was some time
> ago... I'll track it better next time (if it occurs).

If it's failing on a regular upgrade I start to suspect weirdness in
your local setup since that's a dead-simple thing that would be very
hard for portmaster to get wrong. I'm also suspicious because I took a
look at the code a couple times yesterday and even using -r each port
should still be getting the full treatment, which includes upgrading
dependencies as needed.

I will however put some more time into testing it today and get back
to you.

Doug