portversion and pkg_version have different opinions on current versions

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 15 20:07:09 UTC 2009

Jason J. Hellenthal wrote:

> Why not just add weekly_status_pkg_enable="YES" to /etc/periodic.conf.local and youll be informed of packages that need updating.

Sorry to pick on your response, but this thread is a good time to
remind people of some basic mailing list etiquette:

1. Read the whole thread before you reply (the suggestion you made
above was already made earlier in this thread).

2. Make sure you understand the real problem before you reply (the OP
has some sort of problem with his INDEX and ports tree not matching,
we've moved past just finding out what needs updating).

3. Don't speculate. If you're not 100% sure about something let
someone who is more knowledgeable reply. There have been several posts
in this thread that gave misleading and/or confusing information that
could easily have been avoided.

hth,

Doug