Updating the "Mailscanner" port

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Fri Aug 14 14:11:36 UTC 2009

>Mike Jakubik wrote:

>>> Actually, there is a 2-week timeout on updates, but a 3-month
timeout
>>> on maintainer inactivity for transferring maintainership.  Vacations
>>> can last more than 2 weeks :-)
>>>

>> I've just submitted a patch that updates this port to the latest
version,
>> perhaps we can squeeze it in before the freeze.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=137747
>>
>> Thanks.

>I noticed a couple of things here. The 4.78.9 version is still listed
as
>Beta according to the MailScanner site, though the site may just not
>have updated yet. Second, the patch submitted forces perl 5.10+ as a
>requirement. I've seen nothing on the MailScanner site that says that
>this is a requirement, and have had no problems myself using any of the

>Beta versions with perl 5.8.9_3. Given that upgrading perl is not
>something to be done lightly, I was wondering what issues people were
>seeing that 5.10 fixed.
>
>Thanks

I am running quit a few Mailscanner servers, and they all failed under
perl 5.8.9
This was on FreeBSD 6.x, 7.x and 8-Current that time, when i switched to
5.10.x or back to 5.8.8 my problems went away.

if you google on FreeBSD perl 5.8.9 and mailscanner there are a lot of
people reporting issues.

Regards,
Johan Hendriks