Updating the "Mailscanner" port

Kevin Kobb kkobb at skylinecorp.com
Fri Aug 14 13:30:44 UTC 2009

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> On Mon, March 30, 2009 9:49 pm, Mark Linimon wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:04:30PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>
>>> If the existing maintainer has disappeared, one option would be for
>>> you to take over maintainership: Upgrade mailscanner yourself and
>>> submit the upgrade as a PR that also transfers maintainership to
>>> youself.  If there's no response after about 2 weeks, the port is yours.
>>>
>> Actually, there is a 2-week timeout on updates, but a 3-month timeout
>> on maintainer inactivity for transferring maintainership.  Vacations
>> can last more than 2 weeks :-)
>>

> I've just submitted a patch that updates this port to the latest version,
> perhaps we can squeeze it in before the freeze.

> Thanks.

I noticed a couple of things here. The 4.78.9 version is still listed as
Beta according to the MailScanner site, though the site may just not
have updated yet. Second, the patch submitted forces perl 5.10+ as a
requirement. I've seen nothing on the MailScanner site that says that
this is a requirement, and have had no problems myself using any of the
Beta versions with perl 5.8.9_3. Given that upgrading perl is not
something to be done lightly, I was wondering what issues people were
seeing that 5.10 fixed.

Thanks