SourceForge changing file distribution scheme!

Hans F. Nordhaug Hans.F.Nordhaug at hiMolde.no
Tue Aug 11 16:26:55 UTC 2009

* Erwin Lansing <erwin at freebsd.org> [2009-08-11]:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:41:03PM +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> > * Dmitry Marakasov (amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru) wrote:
> >
> > Here's the patch I propose.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there's no way to guess MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR (examples:
> >
> > http://sunet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/maxima/Maxima-source/5.19.0-source/maxima-5.19.0.tar.gz
> > http://sunet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/lam/LAM/2.7.0/ldap-account-manager-2.7.0.tar.gz
>
> Right, that's the third issue making it completely impossible to predict
> the final URL:
> - sourceforge vs project
> - subfolder syntax
> - bouncing between CDR servers
> >
> > ) so for SFNEW it should be always set in the port.
> >
> > I'm also thinking of writing to SF (their change also breaks at
>
> Writing SF might actually our best option here.

I guess many of you have projects on SF and know this already, but the
changes is part of the new easy-to-use File Release System. Read more
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download

Regarding the structure of existing packages/releases - quoting
http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/sourceforge/2009/07/22/file-release-system-frs-update-complete-2009-07-22/

    We have also converted existing FRS data into a simple hierarchy
    based on existing package and release names.

If you contact Daniel Hinojosa (Sr. Manager, SourceForge.net) he will
probably tell you how the conversion is done for existing packages.

For new packages/releases there is no pattern - it's up to every
package maintainer to decide the directory structure. In other words,
the project/whatever/whatever/ must be set in each port - not just
the filename.

Hans