What does py25 mean?

Florent Thoumie flz at xbsd.org
Wed Aug 5 08:10:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Lars Eighner<portsuser at larseighner.com> wrote:
> What does py25 mean?
>
> I can't seem to upgrade about 40 ports (the old versions of which now seem
> to be broken) evidently because the build of
>
> py25-gtk-2.13.1 fails with the message
>
>    py25-cairo-1.8.6 needs Python 2.6 at least. But you specified 2.5.
>
> Well, of *I* did not specify 2.5.
>
> But howcome something called py25-cairo needs Python 2.6?  What does that
> py25 on the front mean?   Doesn't it mean python 2.5?  If it doesn't mean
> that, what does it mean?  If it does mean that, then howcome it needs python
> 2.6?

Looking at graphics/py-cairo history:

June 17: was updated to 1.8.4
June 19: required python 2.6+

You most likely installed it before that, and probably before python
2.6 was set as the default version. The message is a bit misleading
but as somebody else said, the py25- prefix in that case comes from
your installed version of python.

Check entry 20090608 about the python upgrade in /usr/ports/UPDATING.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org