freebsd-update & userland sources

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Tue Aug 4 07:21:03 UTC 2009

Colin Percival <cperciva at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 August 2009 16:10:37 Tom Mende wrote:
> >> Is there a way to get freebsd-update to keep userland sources
> >> up to date?
> Yes.  If you have source code installed (for the right version of
> FreeBSD) in /usr/src, then freebsd-update will keep it updated.
>
> (Slight complication: Because freebsd-update builds are normally
> done before patches are committed to SVN, you won't get the
> updated SVN revision numbers ...

For someone using the source primarily for reference or to build the
occasional port that needs it -- the OP's case, and likely typical
of binary-update users -- this seems harmless enough.

> ... or the new entries in UPDATING ...

This seems not so good.  The archives are overflowing with problems
arising from failure to read UPDATING :(  I'd think it desirable to
find a way to keep it current.