diablo-jdk with FreeBSD-8.0

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:19:23 UTC 2009

On 8/3/09, Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports at mailing.thruhere.net> wrote:
> On Friday 31 July 2009 13:57:34 b. f. wrote:
>> "Stephen Montgomery-Smith" <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:
>> >I am running a very recent amd64 version of FreeBSD-8.0.  diablo-jdk is
>> >no longer working.  I am guessing it is the bumped shared library
>> >versions (because I did do "make delete-old-libs" as part of my
>> >installation).
>>
>> Yes, this came up earlier.  libmap.conf(5) is your friend here, until
>> an update.  Or you can try building java/openjdk6, but that takes some
>> time and resources.
>
> Have you tried it? openjdk requires a native jdk to build, doesn't accept
> the
> linux ones, so chicken and egg.

Obviously not. :)  I was mentioning it only as a possibility that I
hadn't explored, and that the OP may wish to look into -- I should
have made that clear.  I see now that it (unfortunately) requires one
of a number of bootstrap JVMs that are now broken , as you say. Thanks
for pointing that out, and for mentioning the problems below with some
of the other JVMs.

> Trying to build java/jdk16 with a linux one also does not work, because of
> unsafe functions in the make program that it builds as one of the first
> things. Also, the linux jdk6 requires one to dig into archives as the port
> is
> at update 10 while Sun is at update 14.
> So for the time being, libmap.conf is the only working solution and to make
> it
> more specific, it needs libz.so.4. The error message java generates points
> no
> where near libz, so kudos to whoever found out it's that library.

Perhaps not, but ldd(1) and a number of other tools will show that
${WRKSRC}/bin/unpack200 expects to find this library, and also show
what other libraries the precompiled binaries need.  In any event, it
was helpful of Carlos to post his notes -- thanks.

b.