Why so many ports still depend on firefox-2.X.X.X ?

David E. Thiel lx at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 26 19:44:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 02:09:30AM -0700, Yuri wrote:
> I see that ImageMagick, gimp, gimp-apps, inkscape, gnucash, etc depend
> on firefox-2.
> Why they aren't switched to firefox-3?

A related question is why www/firefox is still Firefox 2, and all the
browser plugins like swfdec only work with that. Firefox 3 is the
current stable version, shouldn't there just be www/firefox2 if people
have some obscure use cases that require the old one? It's kind of
surprising when pkg_add -r firefox installs such an old version.