Nagios segfault on startup when embedded perl is enabled on 7.1-stable/i386

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Fri Apr 24 18:19:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Nagios 3.0.6 on:
>
> FreeBSD aubsr096.us.add 7.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE #0: Tue
> Mar 17 19:59:50 EDT 2009
> root at aubsr096.us.add:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>
> Perl is installed from packages, but I installed Nagios from ports to
> enable embedded perl.
>
> When I start Nagios I immediately get a segmentation fault.  Enabling
> complete debugging just gives me:
>
> [1237399013.145856] [001.0] [pid=93972] drop_privileges() start
> [1237399013.145983] [004.0] [pid=93972] Original UID/GID: 181/181
>
> I saw others with similar issues recently,
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg18740.html).
> The only reported solution was rebuilding perl with the correct
> options.  As my perl is from packages, I wouldn't expect I'd have that
> issue.
>
> Did any of the people who had this issue find a solution?  We're not
> having any trouble on our CentOS boxes.
>
> Thanks,
> ==ml

I have the same problem with both nagios (3.0.6) and nagios-devel (3.1.0);
the former with either perl 5.8.8 or prerl 5.8.9 and the later with perl
5.10.  OS is FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE.

Recompling either nagios or nagios-devel but deselecting embedded perl
results in a successful startup.

Running with embedded perl results in a startup message in nagios.log and
a segmentation fault in /var/log/messages (signal 11).

I tried following the OpenBSD nagios installation instructions
regarding .cfg files with 3.0.6, used the default files with a few changes
to cgi.cfg in 3.1.0; no change in behavior.

A ktrace/kdump didn't show anything very interesting to me, but I'm not an
expert at reading kdump output (perl is compiled with debugging at this
point).

Any suggestions?

Mike Squires